In Pranayama, this technique is called Mula Bandha.
What is this method used for?
This is one of the techniques used in The Awakening Ceremony.
ENERGY BOOST: Increase your metabolism slightly and boost your adrenaline levels for more energy.
MOOD LIFT: Dopamine and serotonin will also be produced, which can improve mood.
ANTI-INFLAMMATORY: The adrenaline boost will also release natural steroids that have and anti-inflammatory effect on the body.
RAISE BODY TEMPERATURE: When combined with breath holding, it induces a fever-like response in the body that can suppress and ward off infections. It can also help you stay warm in cold climates or ice baths.
CAUTION: This technique can also raise your blood pressure slightly, but then cause a drop in both heart rate and blood pressure. Use with caution and very gradually if you suffer from high blood pressure.
Fast Track Training
How to do the method:
- Sit comfortably in an upright position with your back straight.
- Tightly contract your pelvic floor muscles (Mula Bandha).
- Hold the contraction for as long as you feel comfortable and watch your heart rate go up on your monitor by around 20-30 BPM. Alternatively, place one hand on your chest and feel your heart rate increase.
- Gently release and relax the muscles and watch a drop in heart rate – even below your normal resting heart rate – for a few moments.
- If you hold your breath in while you contract your muscles it will enhance the effect and you will also feel a rise in body temperature.
Note: To increase the energetic charge do 10-15 cycles of rhythmic breathing at a 2:2 or 4:4 rhythm at 60-120 bpm and then do the technique.
The Supporting Evidence-Based Research:
- Improves lung function, comparable to the lung function of athletes (Prakash et al., 2007), when combined with other Pranayamic techniques.
- Improves bladder function (Patil et al., 2012).
- Improves sex drive and improves various symptoms of sexual dysfunction (Brotto et al., 2009; Sengupta et al., 2013; Rakshith et al., 2017).
- Strengthens pelvic floor, improves symptoms of pelvic organ prolapse (Sweta et al., 2018).
This book provides an in depth discussion of the Mula Bandha and all of its effects and benefits: